Turismo de Portugal have created the Clean & Safe stamp with the objective of recognising companies and leisure activities compliant with health safety recommendations issued by the National Tourist Authority, according to National Health Authority guidelines to avoid risks of contagion of covid-19. Turismo de Portugal has confirmed that we are the first country in Europe to be awarded the European Tourism Covid-19 Safety Seal, recently created by the European Commission.
To create awareness within tourist resorts of the need to adopt health and hygiene measures and procedures that ensure the safety of their employees and customers and to stimulate the resumption of national and international tourism activity, reinforcing confidence in Portugal as a tourism destination.
Companies and activities covered and responsible entities
- Tourist accommodation – Turismo de Portugal
- Leisure Activity Providers – Turismo de Portugal
- Travel Agencies – Turismo de Portugal
- Casinos – Turismo de Portugal
- Tourist offices – Regional Tourism Entities
- Local Accommodation Providers – Agency for Administrative Modernization (AMA)/Entrepreneur's Desk
- Restaurants – General Directorate of Economic Activities (DGAE) / Entrepreneur's Desk
- Motorhome Parking – Portugal Camping and Mountain Federation (FCMP)
- Golf courses – National Golf Industry Council
- Car and Motorhome rental companies – Driverless Industrial Rental Association
- Museums, Palaces, Monuments and Archaeological Sites – Ministry of Culture
- Municipal cultural facilities – Regional Tourism Entities
- Performance Venues – General Inspection of Cultural Activities (IGAC) / Entrepreneur's Desk
- Convention centres - General Directorate of Economic Activities (DGAE) / Entrepreneur's Desk
- Events and convention companies – General Directorate of Economic Activities (DGAE) / Entrepreneur's Desk
- Airports – Turismo de Portugal
- Ciência Viva Centres– National Network of Ciência Viva Centres
- Geoparks – Turismo de Portugal
- Thermal Spas – Termas de Portugal Association (ATP)
The Clean & Safe stamp is free and voluntary.
After submitting a declaration of commitment to comply with all requirements, the applicant will receive a communication confirming their registration and the official stamp, which can be used in their communications and advertising.
The stamp is valid until 30 April 2021.
If the company fails to comply with any requirement, they must immediately communicate that and they will no longer be able to use the “Clean & Safe” stamp.
Turismo de Portugal promotes specific training sessions for businesses to implement the requirements associated to the stamp.
Tourist guides receive Safe & Clean certified training.
Turismo de Portugal, the Economic Security Authority (ASAE) and industry associations will carry out random inspections to Clean & Safe stamp holders.